Sunday, January 25, 2015

Blog Post 2

            This week in EDM110 our assignment was to watch a variety of videos. Mr.Dancealot was the first video I watched. During this short film I observed a teacher attempting to teach the students dance. The teacher is trying to teach the class dance movements while standing behind a counter top using a slide show presentation; all while the students are seated. I believe the central message of this clip is directed to wards teachers. All educators need to interact with their students and keep the classroom a fun and educational place to be. By watching this video and seeing how poorly the students do on their aspect it is clear that Mr.Dancealot is portraying poor teaching skills. I enjoyed watching this clip because it gave me a chance to learn and grow as a teacher!

            The second we were assigned to watch was teaching in the 21st century. Robert feels that teaching is not about entertaining students but teaching them skills that will carry into the future. Although technology is always changing and educators need to learn to evolve with it so that we will be properly informed to teach our students. Honestly I do not like the way Robert sees teaching changing because technology isn’t my strong suit. But, if Robert is correct as a future teacher I will have to learn to evolve!

            The third video I watched was The Networked Student. The main question in this clip is “Why dose the network student need a teacher?”. After viewing this clip and watching the student learn so much through the use of the Internet it was truly amazing. But, student still need human interaction. Teachers need to be there for their students to help guide them and be there for them.

            The forth video I watched was harness your students digital Harness your student’s digital smarts. I believe the thesis of this clip is that not all students learn in the same ways. All students are different and special individuals. My reaction to this clip was extremely positive. I loved the message in this video and I believe all future educators should watch it!

            The fifth video I watched was who’s ahead in the learning race. I believe that the elementary students are the ones winning the race. These young children almost mastered the mac book pro in as little as two days. The way they used the technology to its fullest verse the college students was extremely eye opening.

            The sixth video I viewed was flipping the classroom. Flipping the classroom was a new concept to me. I can honestly say that I am always open for new suggestions on learn but this was not exactly my favorite. I understand that children especially children like myself with ADD have a hard enough time focusing in the classroom all day so to send students home with long task doesn’t seem ideal for me. Also I do not like the idea of watching the videos everyday in class. This idea seems like something that I would not enjoy attempting in my classroom.

            The seventh video that I watched was bringing the locker room into the classroom. Although I do not have any intentions on becoming a coach I was a student athlete in high school so I enjoyed watching this clip. I believe that keeping the energy up in my future classroom with physical activity and a positive uplifting attitude is key in any locker room and or classroom.  


1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I especially agreed with your view on "Flipping the Classroom"! Elementary students should not be expected to have the self-discipline to sit down and watch a video on their own. It takes away the role of the educator. The only problem that I had with the post was that there were a few spelling errors, and those can easily be fixed! Good post!

    ReplyDelete