Sunday, January 18, 2015

Blog Post 1

What about EDM310?

I have been a student at the University of South Alabama for over a year now. I am in the elementary education program and I am currently enrolled in EDM310. EDM310 is honestly something I have only heard horror stories about. So many of my peers have expressed negative feelings towards this class. They have said things like, “this is the class that most people drop” and “This is the hardest and most time consuming class ever.” Among all of the negative comments the only glimpse of hope I did have was the fact that someone told me, “It is best to have a Mac computer for EDM310”.  So heading in for my first day of class I thought to my self, well at least I have a mac. Hearing all of these negative things about EDM310 I walked into the classroom more anxious than ever. My head was spinning and about to explode. I was afraid that this class would do some serious damage to my GPA and that I would not understand how to do any of the projects. To be honest, I do own a mac but I defiantly do not know how to use it. I believe the most difficult thing about this class will be trying to learn how to do the projects for example creating a book trailer.

            EDM310 is a class like no other. I have taken many college courses and have only attended EDM310 twice and without a doubt I can already tell this class is in a entire category of its own. EDM310 is the only class that I have taken that involves zero paper. I have not been in any high school or college course that I haven’t had a binder full of notes. Another difference I have just recently learned about is self-evaluation. In EDM310 we the students have the opportunity to grade our own work along with our peers work.  I believe that this class will truly open my eyes to the fact that, every class dose not have to involve paper and pen or a teacher standing at the front of the classroom the entire time. I do not have any further questions about this class just yet but, I do know they will come. But, when I do have a question I know exactly what I will do. Within the first 15 minutes of the very first day of class our professor made it clear he was there to help. The syllabus and webpages for this class are filled with professors and grad students that are all ready to help. So, I believe there is one last difference in EDM310 verses any other course. EDM310 is over flowing with professors and students that want nothing more than to see us succeed and are ready to help in any way they can!


1 comment:

  1. Shelby,

    While I was reading your blog post, I noticed that you had a few grammatical errors that I thought you might would like to address. In the second to last sentence of your first paragraph you spelt definitely wrong. I think you accidentally typed "defiantly". Also, in the seventh sentence of your second paragraph after "fact that" you put a comma when it is not necessary to put one there, and in that same sentence you misspelled does and wrote "dose" instead. I am not in any way trying to be rude by starting off with your errors, but I thought it would be better to hear that good news after the bad news. The good news is that I enjoyed reading your post! You are extremely lucky to have a Mac computer, because unfortunately, I do not. I actually do not believe that I will struggle in this class though due to the fact that there are Mac computers available to us in the computer lab. I felt the same way you did when I first started EDM 310. I was terrified about the fact that this class had no paper to turn it. Turning things in on paper is what I am accustomed to, and this class is an extreme turnaround. I believe that you and I and everyone else in our class will do wonderful! So, don't stress! And good luck on learning how to use your Mac!

    ReplyDelete